Friday, January 21, 2011

About Me

Hello, my name is Lindsay Lorson. I am originally from central PA. I graduated with my BA from Lock Haven University of PA in Health and Physical Ed. I received a job right after graduation and have been working full time as a high school health and physical education teacher in Bernardsville, NJ. Two years ago I received my MA from Montclair State University of NJ in Physical Education.
I am in my second year in the Ed.D. program here for Curriculum and Teaching in Physical Education






I am very interested in online schools and online schooling because of the profession that I am currently in. I think that all physical education classes are going to be moving to an online base to save money and time in schools. Many people think that this is an oxy-moron but I am hoping that if I have this training and knowledge that this course at some point in my career may hopefully save me my job.

I have had numerous classes online and think that the format is really ideal for myself who cannot commute all the time into the city. I think that online schooling is going to be the wave of the future, especially with coaches and people who work after their full time teaching job. This would be a great avenue for people who have families to continue their education and enhance their own capabilities along with others at the same time. 

I have been using an online template blogger for my senior health class. This was a very basic idea but wanted the students to get use to the idea of using an online format when they get into college.
I encountered much resistance in the fact that I was not using a school identified site for the students to use; however, after the students started using this blog site the resistance stopped and the students really took to it.

There are of course always a few students who do still resist the idea; however, most posted each week. 

I love online ideas that I am learning and am really open to ideas of putting a whole physical education/health education course online for high school students.  I am really looking forward to learning a lot of information here that I can take back and use in my high school classes and hopefully implement to other school districts near my own. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay! Your blogspot struck a cord with me because, after reading this week's assignments, I have started to contemplate the fact that my job as I know it may disappear as well. I teach history and government, and while my content isn't as readily dismissed as yours seems to be, online schooling will revolutionize both of our jobs.

    Also, you and I have the fact that we are commuter students in common. I live in Virginia, and actually am moving to Texas. I complete most of my coursework during the summers when I can go to NYC for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,
    Thanks for reading my blog! It was interesting to read yours as well. What type of work does your husband do that you had to move? Do you have a teaching job yet? If not good luck!!!
    I think that commuting is hard and at times, I just wish I lived in NYC. It seems like it would be worlds easier to just ride the subway, rather than sitting in traffic and trying to find parking is a nightmare.
    Yes, I think that our jobs (more mine than yours) need to be looked at as we need to have other qualifications (i.e. teaching online courses) to simply keep our jobs.
    I am not sure if I am looking forward to the future of education or scared of what is to come.
    Thanks again!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is a chemical engineer, and up until recently, worked in oil refineries. He is now working for an energy trading company. I have a lead on one possible job and an interview for another next week. Thanks for asking!

    Since we both seem to be eager beavers, do you want to partner for the Week 2 wiki assignment? If so, let me know!

    Thanks,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete